I’m sure most of us have problems with itchy dry skin, especially in the Winter. I catch myself constantly scratching my back and legs because it’s so dry. So I’ve put together a few tips to help us all through the cold Winter nights.
1. Use a cream moisturizer rather than a gel one. The creamier the better. And don’t worry about ‘name brands’, go for whatever works for you. I myself even use Vaseline since I have ‘winter hands’. Johnson’s 24 hour moisturizer is also a very good product to use on your body.
2. Try and not bath in TOO hot water. I know, I almost burn myself in Winter. The warmer the better. But also the warmer, the more it will dry out your skin. If you like me, just can’t help it, you HAVE to have your HOT bath, try using a bath oil rather than foam bath. A lot of people don’t like bathing in the bath oil, so if that’s not your thing, I have a solution for that as well. When you’re done with your bath or shower, while wet, rub baby oil over your body. You won’t believe the difference it makes!
3. Heaters and air-conditioners is killers when it comes to drying out your skin. Try to minimize the time you spend with the heater. If you do have be in the room with the heater, get a humidifier for the room. If you are on a tight budget, just simply put a bowl of water in front of the heater.
4. Talking of heaters, if the idea of cold cream on your body gives you chills, put the bottle of cream in front of the heater when you get into the bath. By the time you get out, the cream will be warm. Just be careful to not put it so close that the plastic of the bottle will melt.
5. Put on moisturizer and cream during the day. I have a small tub of Vaseline in my handbag. I even put it on my lips as normal lip creams just don’t do it for me.
6. On the topic of lips, don’t forget to drink your eight glasses of water during the day if you suffer from dry lips. The cold weather, heaters, moist air and your body’s need for water will surely dry out your lips and cause your lips to chap.If you don’t like the idea of Vaseline on your lips, get a chapstick with tea tree oil in it.
7. For your feet and hands, especially if you suffer from ‘Winter hands’ like me, the best is to before going to bed, rub Vaseline / Aquescream / tea tree oil on your hands and feet. Put on socks and cloves. Your hands and feet will love you for it!
8. Try a face mask. You get different types, so rather go for a moisturizing one than a cleansing one.
9. Don’t sleep on an electric blanket. Rather use a water bottle / hot pad etc. The heat of the electric blanket will dry your skin even more
10. Read and check the ingredients in your creams and moisturizers. If if contains alcohol it will dry your skin even more.